CDRW Slower Under FC2 Than FC1

Don Campbell donaldtcampbell at charter.net
Fri May 28 04:11:16 UTC 2004

Charles Curley wrote:

>On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 07:10:29PM -0700, Don Campbell wrote:
>

>>If your CD/RW is an IDE interface device note that with the 2.6
>>kernel support for burners in linux has shifted from scsi emulation
>>to the ATAPI driver.
>>

>Right. I am aware of that. Since I wrote the earlier message, I hauled
>in cdrecord 2.00.3 (the latest) and compiled it. It does not recognize
>either the CD-RW or the ATAPI CD-R on the computer.
>
>However the bundled version at least does a scanbus correctly. But it
>fails a -inq, complaining it cannot open "/dev/sg*".

My understanding is that the version of cdrecord that comes with FC2 has
been patched to work with the 2.6 kernel and the ATAPI driver within.
It is version 2.01-0.a27.3 and is on the CDs of the FC2 distribution.

The complaint about the /dev/sg driver is a throwback to the scsi emulation
days. You either have to revert to the 2.4 kernel or go with the ATAPI
driver.