rsyncing 79gb of data to 250gb drive

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Fri May 28 14:40:35 UTC 2004

Hi,

 --- Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com> wrote: > On
Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:42, David Maynard wrote:
> > I would suspect that some of the source files are
> "sparse."  Ie. there are
> > "holes" in the middle of them where space hasn't
> been allocated in the
> > source directory.  Some applications that use
> random file access will create
> > sparse files.  A simple copy operation that
> doesn't look for sparse files
> > will fill in the holes, causing the copy to take
> up more space than the
> > original.
> >
> > I haven't tried it (at least not recently), but
> rsync appears to have a
> > "--sparse" (-S) option.  Try using that in
> addition to -av and see if that
> > changes the results.  GNU tar has a similar
> option.
>
> Actually, if you're trying to copy all the files
> from A to B, where B is
> a Fresh directory, It's advisable to use GNU Tar.
> it'll speed up the
> transfer and it'll ensure that permissions are kept
> as they should.
>
> After tha Rsync them for incremental backup etc.
>
> my 2 cents

For the people following this sage here is the result
of the rsync withOUT the -S option:

/dev/md6              85419328  79678740   1401448
99% /data01
/dev/hdf1            241263968 124262976 117000992
52% /data02

So the problem is sparse files.

I wonder if tar takes this into account also?

Michael.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com