Proper way to prevent a device (that's unrecognized) from hotplugging?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Fri May 28 19:48:04 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 12:41, me at prestoncrawford.com wrote:
> Okay, so I figured out what was happening with my wife's Rio. It was picking it up and it couldn't
> find a proper device for it (according to /var/log/messages) so it was assigning it usb-storage.
> Now I want to use usb-storage for other things. So I don't want to blacklist it (which is what I
> did temporarily to get it to work under VMWare's guest OS). It seems to me there should be a way to
> look at the device ID as identified in /var/log/messages and to tell the hotplugging system to
> treat a device with that ID like X. How do I do that? And how do I (in the process) basically get
> it to ignore said device?

Try putting it into /etc/hotplug/blacklist.

#
# Listing a module here prevents the hotplug scripts from loading it.
# Usually that'd be so that some other driver will bind it instead,
# no matter which driver happens to get probed first.  Sometimes user
# mode tools can also control driver binding.
#
# Syntax:  driver name alone (without any spaces) on a line. Other
# lines are ignored.
#