Samba vs NFS

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Fri May 28 20:25:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 07:04, Anthony J Placilla wrote:

>>> ----
>>> samba/SMB uses UDP whereas NFS uses TCP - hence the issues of speed vs.
>>> reliability. You could probably google the idea of using UDP instead of
>>> TCP on NFS connections but myself, I would opt for reliability.

I thought its the other way arround. NFS is primarly udp based
(however newer versions have an option to configure it over tcp). And
I've tunneled SMB over ssh - and I'm pretty sure SMB is over tcp.

The advantage of SMB is the connection/auth is at the user level -
instead of root level. The big problem with SMB is - it doesn't
preserve unix permissions.

However FC2 has support for CIFS - and apparently if 'unix extensions'
are enabled on samba side - then the file permissions are
preserved. With my limited usage of cifs - things were not working
that well with FC2 (test releases).

Satish