losing .so files

Chris Torske ct85711 at alltel.net
Sat May 29 02:35:49 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am coming up with a problem that I have been running into more and
more often.  I am not sure if I am doing something wrong every time or
what, just don't understand.

The issue I am coming up with quite often, is that Linux starts to loose
shared librarys.  To be more specific, right away the system works
perfectly; knowing where all the shared librarys that is installed is.
Then slowly and progressively, starts complaining that it can't find a
random shared library.  It keeps on getting worse and worse, loosing the
location of more and more of them.  It isn't really loosing them in the
sense that they aren't on they system.  As like this time around for me,
yum is saying that it can't find "lib-org-apache-bcel-5.0.so".  I was
checking the web for a possible location where is it, and maybe
reinstall the package.  I say it is most times installed in the
/usr/lib/ directory.  Doing "ls /usr/lib/lib-org-apache-bc*" results
with "/usr/lib/lib-org-apache-bcel-5.0.so"; the exact file I am
supposedly missing.  From remembering that most times that directory is
automaticaly checked, when you run ldconfig.  After running that, yum
still complains I am missing that same file.  I have tried on other
times when this has happened, to copy that file around, to pretty much
every single folder I can find; and still doesn't releave the problem.
This problem is not has also been happening on me on other distro's too,
including other versions on kernels.  I have even got it go to the
point, where the system has even lost the a main rpm library.  I don't
remember that exact name off hand.  I just installed this copy just
about 5 days, so it hasn't been too long on this around.  I would really
like to keep this os for more then a month this time around.  Any ideas
on how to fix this?  I haven't checked the rpm database yet, I am
planning to check that tomorrow after work.

Chris T.