only critical packages in minimal installation

Avtar Gill av_gill at sympatico.ca
Sat May 29 06:50:47 UTC 2004

Michael wrote:
>>anyone here figured out which are the critical packages and which can be
>>removed without causing any issues, ie. some fedora scripts might need them for
>>some reason?

[snip]

> I noticed thie minimal install wasn't very minimal too. I removed a lot of those
> packages after installation without any problem. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a
> list. I can probably send you a list of the packages I kept though if that'd help.

I used the python script referenced here to determine which packages
don't have any dependencies..
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/private/rpm-list/2004-February/msg00155.html

Then I removed the following packages..

rpm -e ash bc dos2unix ed eject finger ftp isdn4k-utils lha lrzsz
mkbootdisk mtr nano nc procmail rdate rdist rsh talk tcpdump tcsh telnet
traceroute unix2dos

I also replaced sendmail with postfix. The one remaining package that
I'm not sure about is setarch. I'll look into that this weekend to see
if I absolutely need it. I don't know if this is of any help but while I
was at it, I also figured that I should disable some of the services
that are enabled by default..

chkconfig --level 0123456 {gpm, irda, netdump, nfslock, pcmcia, portmap,
rhnsd, rpcgssd, rpcidmapd, rpcsvcgssd} off