using libmilter, milter-spamc and spamassasin

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat May 29 17:37:24 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 11:49, John Walsh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My intension is to get spamassasin to process ALL the emails that pass
> through my sendmail,
> even those forwarded on to external email addresses through
> /etc/mail/virtusertable...

I setup a sendmail server for a business using spamassassin via
procmail.  I noted you did not want to use procmail for this.  But you
may want to reconsider it.  They way I set it up sendmail calls procmail
for all messages.  In procmail you call spamc to process the messages.
At this point you can grab all spam and put it in a separate file or
pass it on to end users to let them process it.  In my case I dump the
spam to a dummy spamuser.  This is reviewed periodically for any false
positives (no real false positives so far).  It also becomes a pool of
messages to train the baysian databse with.  I also use the this
spamuser as the one to run spamc as.  This way I have a single database
on the system which is kept under the spamuser home directory.

Has worked well.

Not at work right now so I don't have the links to the documents I used
to get this setup.  Will try to remember to post that for you if you
want it.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"There are things that are so serious that you can only joke about them"
- Heisenberg