Prism2 Wireless on FC2?

Dave Ashby dave.ashby at 1993.usna.com
Sat May 29 19:30:59 UTC 2004

Just upgraded to FC2.

Good news: unlike FC1, pcmcia detects my wireless card at boot.
"cardctl ident" yields:
Socket 0:
  product info: "The Linksys Group, Inc.", "Instant Wireless Network PC
Card", "ISL37300P", "RevA"
  manfid: 0x0274, 0x1612
  function: 6 (network)
Socket 1:
  no product info available

Bad news: wlan0 doesn't find the prism2 driver when I plug in my card.
 From /var/log/messages:
May 29 14:33:05 Sacajawea cardmgr[1487]: executing: 'modprobe prism2_cs
2>&1'
May 29 14:33:05 Sacajawea cardmgr[1487]: + FATAL: Module prism2_cs not
found.

I thought I recalled some discussion that the orinoco_cs driver should
work for this card, but I can't figure out where to change the driver.
Changing the "alias wlan0 prism2_cs" line in /etc/modprobe.conf causes
my card to no longer be detected at boot (although I don't see any
likely errors in dmesg or /var/log/messages).

On FC1 I had to use the prism2 rpms from
http://prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us/ to get pcmcia + wireless working.

Since FC2 seems to have my pcmcia working without any tinkering, I hoped
I could get my wireless up by changing some config files.

Does anyone know how I can get my wireless up and running?
-dave

Linux 2.6.5-1.358 #1 Sat May 8 09:04:50 EDT 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Running on a Sony Vaio PCG-FX190