Firewall - Very limited Access - suggestions

Kevin F. Berrien kblists at comcast.net
Sat May 29 19:53:57 UTC 2004

I'm intersted in building a bastion firewall for the following
sistuation.  Have a closed network (police dept).  There are no crosses
to the internet.  However, we'd like VERY LIMITED access by the Windows
DC server for the following: Windows update (via SUS), Symantec AV
updates, VNC/or remote desktop connection to 1 or 2 workstations on our WAN.

Thus, I want to limit all traffic except various protocols/ports between
specific IP's/URL's.

Certianly FC and iptables can do this, does anyone recommend a
configuration utility, start off  scripts, etc?  Should I be looking
more into LRP (now defunct), etc?  My iptables knowledge is not great
(did it years ago), so some configuration utility would be great, and my
co-workers isn't experienced in this area at all.