fc2 will not install to sata

Linux linux at herbasource.com
Sat May 29 20:27:03 UTC 2004

Subject: Re: fc2 will not install to sata

> > Hi Kas
> >
> > Do you think that putting in a new bios that has been "professionally
> > flashed" will bring the board back to life or are you saying that even
that
> > will not help?
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> That will teach me to not look first...I now remember the warning about
> not using EF Flash to update to v1004 (and 1005 although the message
> says 1004) from earlier versions.  The warning really implies that EZ
> Flash was borked in 1001,1002 and 1003 and it shouldn't be used...from
> this I would then figure that the whole problem was caused by a
> malfunctioning EZ Flash in your original BIOS.  My experience below
> indicates that it still wasn't fixed in v1005 either.
>
> This is here I get updates from:
>
> http://usa.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=K8V%20Deluxe
>
> Since v1001-3 EZ Flash apparently hoses BIOS, you may not be able to
> bring this board up without an new BIOS...I would still be inclined to
> RMA it if you can't get a display and a floppy won't boot.  However, if
> you can get a floppy to boot, there is still hope...
>
> Venturing forth where angels fear to tread, I just gave EZ Flash a try
> using BIOS v1005 hoping to update to v1007.  EZ Flash just hungs after
> reading the K8V.ROM file on my floppy and saying "Erasing ...." .
> Fortunately, it was lying and BIOS was still intact.  As I would expect
> from Asus, they don't even list the K8V on the list of procedures to use
> with various motherboards...so I used what I knew works...v1005 came
> with the utilities needed...I modified patch.ini and put k8v1007.ami on
> the floppy in place of 1005.ami and booted from there...1007 is running
> now.
>
> KAS

Hi Kas

Just looked at the link you gave, it is for the K8V deluxe, I have a K8V not
the delux so I do not think there is a ver greater than 1004 in fact the
usa.asus only has ver 1003 for the K8V, I downloaded from asus.tw which has
1003 and 1004
Either way I think that the problem lies with the fact that the EZ flash
utility is not quite right and nukes the bios. So hopefully the new bios
chip will solve the problem.

Jeff