using libmilter, milter-spamc and spamassasin

Hannes Mayer fedora at ancientcoins.biz
Sun May 30 17:33:46 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> I setup a spamuser that missed messages can be bounced to.  (NOTE:  you
> want to use your clients bounce option not forward.  Forwarding a
> message changes the headers by putting your address in as the from.  If
> you teach it that your address generates spam you will have more
> problems.  By bouncing the message the headers should be retained and
> you can teach spamassassin to correctly identify those as spam.)

hmm... good idea, but how does one bounce a missed spam to that account
with outlook ? I think that's not even possible with moz ?
My scenario: RHEL server with the accounts; several windoze/outlook users
who POP3 the accounts

> In my case I also divert any spam to that dummy user via procmail.  This
> allows someone to review the tagged messages just in case there was a
> false positive.

I've installed openwebmail.org so the users can review their spam
themselfs (all spam is directed to ~/mail/SPAM and this is moved once a
week to SPAM2 -> SPAM3 -> dropped), so moving the spam to a general
account is easy.
This also has a very nice side-effect. Users have to log in to openwebmail
at least once to activate spam removal - the ~/mail/ directory is created.
If they don't log in, spam is just tagged and delivered.

> I read some notes on the spamassassin.org site about fully automating
> this process but I have not done that.  In theory you could have an
> account that when a message is sent to it you would run sa-learn on the
> message automatically.  You would have one for spam and one for ham.
> That way your end users could send missed spam and have it added to the
> database as well as send a ham message that might have been flagged
> incorrectly.
>
> I did not trust that process nor do I trust users that far.  <GRIN>

Same here *g* ;-)

> All in all it has worked far above my expectations.  If everyone used it
> the spammers would be out of buisness IMHO.

How true!

Thanks a lot!!!
Hannes.