FC2 Gnome/KDE went south on me

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Mon May 31 00:01:10 UTC 2004

Hi Bruce,

On Sun, 30 May 2004 19:32:36 -0400
Bruce Ecroyd <bruce.ecroyd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>
> This is helpful stuff.
>
> I turned off the nfs stuff, since I'm not using on my home network.

Exactly, I do the same here.

> Might as well eliminate variables, and stuff that will slow me down.

?... which variables? Anyway, turning useless services off is
definitely a good thing. Run 'chkconfig --list' and you will see which
services are turned on for each runlevel. If you wanna turn a specific
service off _completely_ (i.e. for all runlevels), run 'chkconfig
[service] off'.

(be careful not to disable something you need -- make sure you
understand what you're doing)

> I did some updates this morning -- the updates I did this morning were
> from the FC2 site. If I recall they were pretty minor.  (I've applied
> all that FC2 had available so far).

I suggest you review what packages have been upgraded, maybe they will
give you some clue.

I still think there's gotta be some clue somewhere on the logs... but I
know these things are hard to track =(

Since X is still a suspect, one thing you could do is leave graphical
login and start X by hand, so that you could monitor error msgs and
timings. Do this:

* CTRL+ALT+F1 (this will drop you into a text terminal)
* login as root
* run 'init 2' (this will change your runlevel to 2, which is
  non-graphical, NFS off -- take a look at /etc/inittab)
* run 'startx > /tmp/x.log 2>&1' (this will start X manually)

This should allow you to time X startup. Also, its output has been
redirected to /tmp/x.log, check this file out when you leave X (either
with logout or CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE)

In order to go back to runlevel 5 (X11), just type 'init 5; logout'.

> The HD fortunately is SMART:
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Device Model:     WDC WD400JB-00ETA0
> Serial Number:    WD-WMAHM1427116
> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
> SMART support is: Enabled
>
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
>
> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
> LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%       225
> #       -
>
> I ran the short test, and it passed. I feel more confident that the
> drive is good -- now on to figure what else happened :)

Good news =) BTW: AFAIK you can start the long test while you're using
your computer, you will just need to check the results later on
(performance might be worse, though).

HTH

Andre

PS: Just noticed: you're the 1st person I know using gmail.com =)

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa