FC2: firefox won't run after installing search and mouse plugins

Frank Rehwinkel redback_frank at yahoo.com
Mon May 31 02:02:59 UTC 2004

So after a reboot, firefox is working again.

For kicks, I tried to follow the same procedure as far
as getting the mouse gestures extension installed, and
this time with better results.

As an unprivileged user, the install failed, saying I
didn't have appropriate permissions to write to
mozilla/chrome directory.  Error code:-202.

After restarting firefox, there was in fact no new
extension.  But at least firefox could still be run.

Then as root I started firefox and installed the mouse
gestures extension which did work.  Both the root's
firefox and my user's firefox show mouse gestures as
an installed extension now.

I'll chalk it up to a problem with the search
extensions that I had tried to install, and some bad
state left in the kernel, which didn't get cleaned up
until it was rebooted.

-Frank