200 GB Maxtor drive (48bit LBA) ?

Linux linux at herbasource.com
Mon May 31 11:46:16 UTC 2004

> > Is your drive sata?
> >
> No, it is IDE.
>
> > if so I have a Maxtor 200gb SATA hd on a Asus K8V mb
> > with 3200 amd64 cpu and can not get FC2 to install to it period, even
though
> > it see the drive and it full size.
> >
> Interesting.
> Does the AMD64 get very hot?

No not more than would be expected, runs at 36 - 40 deg according to bios
depending on ambient

> Do you see full size in BIOS, or in the Linux installer DiskDruid ?

I said full size but it reports 196.something, sorry cant check as I nuked
my bios             when flashing it to latest bios, asus forgot to mention
that there flash facilty nukes bios     when upgrading from certain bios
versions.

> > FC1 installed fine to this drive
>
> I think it's FC2 is the problem.
> The kernel probably doesn't support LBA48 which is needed to see
> drives larger than 130 GB

I cant comment on that due to lack of knowledge, but how come FC1 see's it
and full capacity and installs to it no problem, I would logicaly think that
if FC1 supported it FC2 would,  or is that a dumb assumption?

Jeff