Music Player question

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon May 31 13:54:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004 09:45:44 -0400, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 May 2004 22:27:53 -0400, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
> >

> >>It claims to be able to play streaming Internet radio stations. There's
> >>more than one kind, right? Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, and so on,
> >>yes? How do I 1) know what type it will play, and 2) find stations of
> >>that type, to play?
> >>
> >>Hmm. I discovered the radio play list in /usr/share/rythmbox, but when I
> >>try to play anything in that list, I get this:
> >>
> >>There is no element present to handle the stream's mime type audio/mpeg.
> >

> > For certain media formats, such as mp3 (which belongs to the audio/mpeg
> > MIME type), you need add-ons which are not included in Fedora Core
> > due to patenting or licencing issues. You could get an mp3 plugin here:
> >
> > http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/2/i386/RPMS.testing/gstreamer-plugins-mp3-0.8.1-0.lvn.1.2.i386.rpm
> >
> > http://rpm.livna.org
> >

> When I try to install, I get:
>
> > [root at dhcppc5 ste]# rpm -Uvh gs*
> > warning: gstreamer-plugins-mp3-0.8.1-0.lvn.1.2.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID a109b1ec
> > error: Failed dependencies:
> >         libid3tag.so.0 is needed by gstreamer-plugins-mp3-0.8.1-0.lvn.1.2
> >         libmad.so.0 is needed by gstreamer-plugins-mp3-0.8.1-0.lvn.1.2
> > [root at dhcppc5 ste]#

The plugin needs the extra packages 'libid3tag' (from fedora.us) and
'libmad' (from rpm.livna.org).

Don't install packages manually if you don't know how to solve their
dependencies. Use smart package resolvers like Yum or AptRpm

  http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO
  http://rpm.livna.org

add package repositories to the configuration and let the tools do the
work:

  yum install gstreamer-plugins-mp3
or:
  apt-get update