Modem connects but no internet

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Mon May 31 22:47:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:56:04 -0700 (PDT)
Jason Kretzer <jrkretzer at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have used this same procedure many times with other linux distros --
> this is my test box -- and the others just worked after I ran
> wvdialconf.  Everything is the same except the distro.
>
> As an aside, I also tried to use KPPP to connect and it did the same
> thing.
>
> -Jason

Hello, Jason :)
I don't know what Caused your problem, but I know that I had the exact
same thing happen to me.  What I did was copy the DNS addresses (the
contents of "/etc/resolv.conf" from a working installation of Fedora
Core 1, and then set KPPP to manually use those addresses when it
connects.  Before I did that, I just used to copy the resolv.conf I got
from Fedora Core 1 to /etc/resolv.conf in Fedora Core 2 (AFTER
connecting to the Internet)
Below please find the exact instructions to set this manually in KPPP

Steven P. Ulrick

On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:04:53 -0500
Brian & Amanda Hicks <bhicks at semo.net> wrote:

> While using google to find a fix, I found you are having the exact
> same problem as I and was curious if you ever found a fix to it?  I
> can get a connection using the network device control app, but KPPP
> connect and doesn't let me do any browsing.  I used the echo command
> they posted for you, but that seems to be a temp fix.  Have you
> discovered anything in regards to this?

Hello, :)
I never found a PERMANENT fix, but this is what I found: in my case, the
DNS (Domain Name Server) addresses were not being written to the
/etc/resolv.conf file like they are supposed to.  What I did, at first,
was this:
1. Connected to the internet using my Fedora Core 1 installation.
2. Copied "/etc/resolv.conf", WHILE I was connected to the Internet to a
location that I could copy and paste it from later.  I had to do it that
way, becuase /etc/resolv.conf is EMPTY when you are not connected to the
Internet.
3. Rebooted into Fedora Core 2
4. Connected to the Internet, using KPPP, then, as root, I copied the
"/etc/resolv.conf" that I had gotten from Fedora Core 1 while I was
CONNECTED to the Internet to "/etc/resolv.conf" in Fedora Core 2.
5. Voila! Problem is fixed!

In other words, I copied /etc/resolv.conf which I had gotten from a
running, Internet connected Fedora Core 1 session, to a running,
Internet connected Fedora Core 2 session, and I was able to do
everything that I could not do before.

After a few days of manually copying my /etc/resolv.conf file from
Fedora Core 1 to Fedora Core 2 EVERY time we connected to the Internet,
I found out that I could set those addresses statically in KPPP (I have
NEVER had to do this before.  It always JUST WORKED :))

Assuming you can get a hold of the DNS addresses of your Internet
Provider, do the following:

kppp | Configure | Accounts | Edit (the problem account) | DNS

1. Domain name: www.eagleinet.net (example)
2. Configuration: Manual
3. DNS IP address: 12.345.678.12
4. Because I had two entries in my /etc/resolv.conf file from Fedora
Core 1, I repeated step 3, and put the second address in.
5. You should now have two entries that look like the numbers in step 3
in the box labled: DNS address list

Since I started doing that, everything works perfectly.  In fact, I had
forgotten that I had ever had this problem until I got your email :)

Of course, the question still remains: Why did this problem crop up,
apparently, between Fedora Core 2, Test Release 3 (all updated applied)
and Fedora Core 2?  This is a mystery......

Anyway, if you have any further questions, please let me know.
Thank you for letting me help you on this :)

Steven P. Ulrick