FC2 Gnome/KDE went south on me

Bruce Ecroyd bruce.ecroyd at gmail.com
Mon May 31 22:58:32 UTC 2004

Hi Andre,

I tried the init 2 and manually sending to the log file as suggested.
The X startup showed the Fedora Core 2 splash screen, but didn't
proceed to the underlying symbols showing the startup progress. x.log
didn't have too much (no errors), since it didn't get too far.

That said.. I did manage to get KDE/GNOME back up with the following
'troubleshooting' (aka messing around):

a) I moved .kde to .kdesave (thinking that this would solve things --
duh..gnome likely doesn't use this) , and this had no effect on it
after restarting X.
b) I then figured that since both kde/gnome were fubar, I'd just clean
out the /tmp directory and restore .kdesave to .kde, and rebooted.
That did the trick (Geoff Stitt had same idea). As far as what was
root cause, dunno for now. I'll poke around more if it reappears.

B.