NIC Selection

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat May 1 03:47:17 UTC 2004

Timothy J. Miller wrote:

>The machine use to be on two networks and was reconfigured.  Don't know
>why it was reconfigured with two cards on the same network but when I
>realized that it was configured this way I figured there maybe a reason.
>Not sure what, but need to ask before I took the interface down.
>
>Thanks

In my experience and has been mentioned before, 2 nics on the same
*subnet* are often a problem.  The system has a problem deciding which
is the actual gate to that subnet and usually causes a lot of hangs and
slowdown in network communication (if it works at all).

I do not ever recommend that config.

However, I have not seen multiple NICs on the same physical network
cause a problem as long as the IPs do not cause a subnet conflict.