From RH 9.1 to Fedora

Mariano Draghi mdraghi at prosud.com
Sat May 1 19:08:37 UTC 2004

El Sat, 01 May 2004 10:20:04 -0300, Rodrigo Martin Santos escribió:

> Hello, my name is Rodrigo. I have installed RH 9.1 last June and since
> then kept it updated through RH Network Alert. Now the desktop
> distribution from RH is ended and the natural way to go on seems to be
> with Fedora Project. How can I do to move to Fedora without uninstalling
> RH? I have configured and personalized the PC through all these months
> and I do not want to lose all this work. I have read the site in RH and
> Fedora but I can't find a smoth path to change it.

Hi Rodrigo,

All this depends on how critical is your current RH9 installation for
you... if you want to keep things stable, and just keep the system up to
date as regards security and bugfixes, then the Fedora Legacy Project is
the way to go.

But if you want to upgrade your system to Fedora Core 1, just do that.
Anaconda will find your previous RH9 installation and ask you to upgrade
it, keeping all your settings. I took that approach when I migrated from
RH8, and it worked 'almost' perfect. There could be some (minor) oddities,
but if you are a more-or-less experienced Linux user, you won't have any
problem solving them.

Please, note that in a couple of weeks Fedora Core 2 will be out... so you
might consider as well to stay with RH9 a little bit more, keeping an eye
on FC2... if everything goes fine, then you could upgrade later directly
to FC2.

--
Mariano