Setting up demand-dialing for a dial-up ISP?

Bob Shaffer fedora at bobshafferscomputer.com
Sun May 2 10:23:33 UTC 2004

You don't have to use wvdial or any other dialer.  You don't need to be
logged in as root to do anythig but set it up.  Read the man page for
pppd, and maybe the PPP Howto on tldp.   PPPD can dial and dial-on-demand
by itself.  I think the option may be 'demand'.  If you make pppd setuid
root you can also use 'pppd call your-isp' as anybody once you set it up.
It's all well documented in the man/info pages.

Bob Shaffer II - Owner, Developer, System Operator -
BobShaffersComputer.com http://bobshafferscomputer.com/

/"\
\ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
 X   CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
/ \

Preston Crawford said:
> I'm trying to setup demand dialing for a dial-up ISP that we're
> switching to. Everything is working well using wvdial but I want my
machine to dial out automatically like when fetchmail grabs my email,
etc. Plus I don't think I want to work as root user to dial out. That
doesn't seem safe. Can anyone advice me on how to set this up under
Fedora. I've done it under SuSE, but it was better documented there and
I think the GUI handled some of it.