XF86Config tool?

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sun May 2 14:14:43 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 08:53, Jay Daniels wrote:
> Thanks Alexander.  Would it be improper for Fedora developers to link
> xf86config, XF86Config, XF86Setup, and Xconfigurator to
> redhat-config-xfree86 to avoid this which xf86config confusion?

They all do slightly different things, really.  I've found the automated
"XFree86 -configure" to be more useful than any of the XFree86 provided
interactive tools.  If you have a monitor and video card made in the
past 4-5 years there's no need to deal with sync rates, memory
addresses, chip numbers, and all that other nonsense done by
xf86config.  If you do need to twiddle with those things then prepare to
edit XF86Config.

Also bear in mind that XFree86 has been abandoned for some time by most
of the Linux distros since the 4.4 license change.  Nearly all
references to xfree86 and xf86 have been cleansed from FC2 development.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/