Sun JDK distribution issues

Carlos Rodrigues cer09566 at students.fct.unl.pt
Sun May 2 18:07:44 UTC 2004

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Carlos Rodrigues <cer09566 at students.fct.unl.pt> said:
>
>>Could someone explain why Fedora doesn't include Sun's JDK? I know that
>>there are some issues concerning distribution (source and stuff) and I
>>was looking for some details about this.
>

> The Fedora Core distribution is exclusively made up of Open Source
> software.  The Sun (and IBM and BEA) JDK is not Open Source, so it won't
> be a part of FC.
>
> Even if that rule was to be "bent", Sun has distribution restrictions on
> the JDK that would keep it out of FC.

Yes, but I was wondering about what has to be changed in Sun's JDK (or
IBM's, since it includes Sun's code) to make it acceptable under normal
FC rules (without bending any of them). This, of course, without it
having to be fully GPLed.

I'm wondering about this because although Sun doesn't seem too keen on
GPLing Java they may be willing to make some changes to open it up a
bit, I'm just curious about what would be necessary for the FC folks to
find it open enough for inclusion.

Carlos

--
url: http://crodrigues.webhop.net