up2date hanging

chuck_sterling csterlin at zianet.com
Sun May 2 23:18:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:59:46 -0500, Steve Pyatt wrote:

> I had this same issue. On top of about a dozen others just getting
> started. I ran it several times before it seemed to get everything
> correctly. The nice thing is once it is downloaded, it did not download
> again. You might try running just a few of the packages instead of all of
> them. It didn't seem to really matter though.
>
> Steve

You should edit your /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file to use a mirror,
rather than the redhat server set as a default. You can get a list of
mirrors on the fedora.redhat.com site. Also, run up2date-config and
remove "kernel*" from the ignored packages, and set the program to retain
the binary packages after installation (in case you need them again
later). You might find that up2date works a little better overall with the
mirrors, even if you don't make the configuration changes. Finally, I
usually run it as "up2date --nox -u -v" from a terminal, which eliminates
all interactivity and the gui, so it will complete unattended.

Good luck,
Chuck