Connecting to Microsoft VPN with Linux?

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Mon May 3 02:05:56 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 19:43, Michael Mansour wrote:
> * can Linux VPN support Microsoft VPN?

I used to use PoPToP to provide VPN service to Windows NT4 and 2000:
  http://www.poptop.org/

Here is a Linux and BSD PPTP client (or, "HP Presents PPTP"):
  http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/

> * are there any ADSL modem/routers which support
> Microsoft's VPN?

All of the affordable VPN end-points (Linksys, Netgear, etc) I've seen
use IPSec.  Beware of the ones that do claim PPTP support because that
usually means they support pass-through (to _one_ internal machine).
IPSec is the standard, afterall.  I'm not sure why anyone (except MS)
would want to support anything else.  Everything has good IPSec support
where only Microsoft supports PPTP.

Google finds some pointers on setting up a PPTP end-point with some
Cisco routers (search for "cisco pptp").  It's not clear if you can make
outbound connections to a Windows VPN server, though.

In the end, it may be less trouble to build your own vpn
router/firewall.  At least then you know its capabilities.  Maybe setup
your existing Debian IPSec machine to use HP's pptp-client?

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/