Boot/login problems after installation

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon May 3 03:30:01 UTC 2004

Gary Rickert wrote:

>I get the boot options screen fine as long as I only select Fedora. However
>I cannot login. Authentication failures /var/log/messages look good except
>for the "couldn't set account for root", or ditto my user. As soon as I boot
>XP, it goes into recovery and wipes (fixes) BOOT.ini so I no longer see the
>options.

Ok, then this is (at least partially) an XP issue.
Are you sure the boot.ini has the same attributes it was installed as.
IIRC it should be hidden - system (at lest it is on my system).  At a
command prompt "attrib \boot.ini" should give the attributes and mine is
'A  SH'
Was the boot.ini edited and saved by an administrative user?

If it sees the file incorrectly it may restore it to default because it
thinks it is corrupt or has been modified.  If the boot.ini file is left
with the default attributes it should not force a recovery of that file.

See below for ideas on the problem with fedora

What options did you select for password/login on the FC install?
I always just select the defaults and it works perfectly.

When you boot to single user mode, have you checked /etc/passwd and
/etc/shadow to see if the user is there and is using a shadowed password?
Have you tried changing the user password and verified it gets changed
in /etc/shadow ?

I suspect that since the login problem occurs with different users and
even creating a new user does not allow login, that something may be
wrong in the way it was setup for authentication.