FC1 and Belkin OmniView 4-port switch (Bob Hartung)

amsm at iprimus.com.au amsm at iprimus.com.au
Mon May 3 04:34:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

A few months back, I tried a Belkin 4-port "SOHO" KVM switch in my then setup
of RH 7.3 firewall/gateway machine, RH9 workstation (mostly running X) and
Win2K box.

I found that whenever I switched out to the RH7 or Win2k machines, on return
to the RH9 machine, the mouse was uncontrollable.  Apparently it's a known
issue with Belkin switches and X.  I tried the various suggestions I found
on the net for making sure all machines used the same protocols etc, but
nothing helped.

I could retain some control if I did a mouse reset each time, but that defeats
the purpose.

I ditched it and used a Comsol, which works brilliantly.  Well....I brought
the belkin in to work and swapped the Comsol out...it was only ever used
for text-consoles anyway, so why not ?  ;-)

I didn't have the hassles with the video quality or anything, is was just
a demented mouse problem.

I wouldn't touch Belkin gear again with a 10-foot pole.