Strange Idle User Listed in who, finger

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Mon May 3 15:26:44 UTC 2004

I've noticed an additional user among those I usually see in GKrellm.
Typically, when I am in Gnome, I see one user (me), plus additional
users for each virtual terminal I have open. When I am in KDE, I
typically see two users (both me), plus additional users for each
terminal open.

Recently however I see an additional user showing up. One of them is
strangely "me" but idle for 123d. This is odd since my system has been
running only for ten days. Here is some related output:

[charshaw at mufasa charshaw]$ finger
Login     Name            Tty      Idle  Login Time   Office     Office
Phone
charshaw  Clint Harshaw  *:0             May  3 09:44
charshaw  Clint Harshaw   pts/1          May  3 11:18 (:0.0)
charshaw  Clint Harshaw   pts/5    123d  Apr 28 08:22 (:0.0)
[charshaw at mufasa charshaw]$ who -u
charshaw :0           May  3 09:44   ?         13153
charshaw pts/1        May  3 11:18   .         15142 (:0.0)
charshaw pts/5        Apr 28 08:22   ?         18655 (:0.0)

Now when I try to kill the process associated with the April 28 date, I
get the following:

[charshaw at mufasa charshaw]$ kill 18655
bash: kill: (18655) - No such process
[charshaw at mufasa charshaw]$ kill -9 18655
bash: kill: (18655) - No such process

What's going on here? I've google'd for a solution, and learned to try
the things outlined above, but that doesn't seem to be the fix.

Is there a way to remedy this without a reboot? I asked on #fedora, and
the general response was this was nothing to worry about, but I can't
help but want to know what I can do, as well as what the cause is.

Thanks very much,
Clint

--
Clint Harshaw  <clint at penguinsolutions.org>