FC1 and Belkin OmniView 4-port switch

lwj wayne at zkcelltest.com
Mon May 3 15:55:15 UTC 2004

> A brand new unit oscillated on the video for certain brightness transitions.
> I arranged a replacement from Belkin. I received a VERY used unit that was
> in worse shape than the one I had. I subsequently took the original one
> apart, found something that rectified most of the problem, and am still
> limping along with it. The video still has unsatisfactory levels of video
> ringing. I will not be purchasing Belkin again for a VERY long time.

Not all problems of this sort are directly related to the switch. I
don't understand all the physics involved but when you extend the length
of the monitor cable it degrades the video signal. Furthermore, it can
change the characteristics of the signal path so that you get reflected
signals (ghosting.) The KVM also effects the signal path. More expensive
KVMs _probably_ do a better job and _may_ even be able to compensate for
the changes created by adding the KVM.

Some monitors are more sensitive to these changes in the signal.
Usually, cheaper monitors don't do as well.

The video card also plays an important role. Some generate better
signals than others. This has to do with signal strength, timing etc.

Video cables also play a big role depending on how much signal loss and
shielding they have.

The resolution and refresh rate will also be a factor. The higher the
resolution and refresh rate, the more likely your are to have problems.

What does this all mean? It means that different people are going to
have different experiences with a particular KVM based the other parts
of the video signal path. I have 2 KVMs with ultra cheap cables. They
both work fine up to 1024x768. At 1280x1024 and higher they have a
little problem with ghosting. I have them hooked up to a Gateway monitor
and a Viewsonic. They both worked better with one monitor than the
other. Both are acceptable to me. I think others might be bothered by
the ghosting.