Linksys or Netgear

lwj wayne at zkcelltest.com
Mon May 3 16:14:30 UTC 2004

> The Linksys website says that their PCI cards support WPA.  What they
> don't say is that it is only under XP.  Not only do they not support Linux
> they even mislead their Win customers.

I don't think Windows supports WPA except under Windows XP. I do know
that XP did not support WPA out of the box. I had to download a service
pack to get that support. WPA is mostly a driver thing, or at least
support for it can be done in software.

Linux WPA support is another issue entirely. The support must be added
to the Linux drivers but most manufacturers do not support Linux. Of all
the wireless chip manufacturers, Atheros is the only one that I know of
that actively supports Linux. WPA for Atheros based cards is in
development I am not sure what the status is. (see Madwifi on
sourceforge.net)