Old farts and new Linux

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Mon May 3 18:59:06 UTC 2004

duncan brown wrote:

>John Nichel said:
>

>>Same here....I still have the 800XL.  Did you spend the $350 on the
>>EXTERNAL 5-1/4" floppy drive, and notch your disks too?  *L*
>>

>wow.  i remember doing that.  i completely forgot, but now it's coming
>back, lucidly.  i spent an entire afternoon after school with an x-acto
>knife (or something very similar) modding discs that the library was going
>to throw out.
>

> -d

Duncan, you work too hard...  Single-hole hole punchers worked great for
this task - cut out a semi-circle instead of a whole hole.. :) Sure it
wasn't square, but it worked like a charm, without the possibility of
slicing the disk [or your hand]...

Now, for the 3.5" floppies, it was a little more difficult, because a
hole-puncher left a much larger hole than was required.  For this task,
I found that a swiss-army knife with a leather-punch tool to be
effective [albeit a little slow].

Too bad we can't do the same thing to double the size of CD's or DVD's.
and instead must revert to more primitive means, such as data
compression... :]

--
Keven Ring               | "Oh no,  Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation    |   Bowl of Petunias -