Old farts and new Linux

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 3 21:11:38 UTC 2004

On Monday 03 May 2004 14:08, John Nichel wrote:
>Graham Campbell wrote:
><snip>
>
>> And speaking of the hippie o/s, did you ever wonder how the
>> internet ended up without a central controlling authority? Because
>> it was designed by some almost hippie grad students back in the
>> 60s/70s.
>
>Hmmmm....would the Atari 400 with BASIC cartridge that I learned to
>program on be considered a 'hippie o/s'?  ;)

Maybe in some circles.  Me, I just figured it was another of mostek's
drain bamaged things.

Me, I got my first taste of a linux/unix like os in a much simpler
way, one of my long lasting stepping stones to playing with the big
dogs was os9 on the TRS-80 Color Computer.  I still have half a dozen
of those yet.  It was quite a bit like the *nix's, but without the
security unless you were logging in from a tty.  The machines own
keyboard always had "root" priviledges.

Nitros9, a community developed version of os9 that runs on a hitachi
6309 cpu, is about 2x faster, and dead stable on a properly equipt
CoCo3.  The poorly written app may crash, but that os could survive a
nuke attack I think.

All my years of running am amiga that fit between the CoCo's and
linux, were basicly spent trying to get a 14 day uptime.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)