Old farts and new Linux

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Mon May 3 21:14:24 UTC 2004

fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 15:58, Charles Curley wrote:
>
>> A bunch of tadpoles on this thread. IBM 360s, PDP-11s, all new
>> stuff. _I_ worked on the world's first silicon based computers, in a
>> project on what is now called Salisbury Plain, England, about 5,000
>> years ago.
>>
>> So there.
>

> And here I thought that at 36, I was an 'old fart' when it came to
> playing with computers. By the sounds of it, I'm still wet behind the
> ears :)
>
> I've been doing this since my first computer, a TRS-80 model III
> (cassette tapes for storage, 48k of ram (that was the upgrade) and
> hexeditors were my favorite toys).  I was shown linux for the first
> time by a friend of mine the same day I passed my last mcse exam.
> I've long since let the mcse lapse and haven't used anything other
> than linux in years for both desktops and servers.
>
> Ron

I am very much wet behind the ears.
I started with a TRS-80 model II (with the cassette), along with a PDP-8E
(paper tape reader).
I graduated to a PET, and quickly to a Commodore CMB - the big guys had the
machines with 16K RAM.
Ah, the days of PEEKS and POKES.

When I got to college, my roommate had a PC, with an external Winchester
10Mb hard drive.  We figured, at the time, that this would be enough to last
almost forever.  We were also able to dial into the campus Vax and "chat"
with people on the other end of the state.

My first machine at home was a dumb terminal, with a 300/1200 baud modem in
1987.  In 1990 I got my first "real" machine, a 386sx.  Up until then I had
done BASIC, Fortran, and even COBOL on a TI-990.

But I've only used Linux since 6.1.

 -Don