Correct way to mount Win2k3 shares with Samba?

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Tue May 4 04:58:20 UTC 2004

For the record, I think the biggest problem I'm having and thus the
reason I wanted a little direction, is with the concept of
authenticating against a domain vs. peer-to-peer.

Most of the networks I've setup that had Samba file servers were small
and didn't have domain controllers. So there would be a preston:password
entry on the server and on my desktop and every time I'd request a
resource from the server by virtue of the fact that I'd logged in with
preston:password to my desktop, the server would receive those same
credentials, see I was good and give me permission to read/write, etc. I
think what's happening here is that I'm not authenticating against the
domain. My machine is in the domain now. I can mount the shares. But
once the shares are mounted and I try to write, for example, I'm not
passing along to the domain controller that I'm preston and here's my
password.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Preston