new FC1 install problems

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Tue May 4 05:27:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 12:48:42PM -0400, duncan brown wrote:
> Gene Heskett said:
>
> >>I'm not quite as old as Gene, only 60.  Started programming with an
> >> IBM 1620 (the first all-solid-state computer) in 1963.  Started
> >> using Unix in 1980.  And still have my original RH 6.0 CDs on the
> >> shelf.
> >>
> > :) 6.0? rootkitted yet?  Bind was leakey, very leaky. But I think, if  I
> > dug deep enough in all this detrious in here, that I could come up  with
> > a full 2? cd install of rh5.1.
>
> when i worked for lycos we had a group of engineers who were installing
> 6.2 and weren't applying any patches ... keep in mind, this was the summer
> of 2002.  the things were comprimised in less than a day, one was even
> taken over in less than 2 hours after installation.  i donated my box set
> of 6.2 to the library, looking back i think that was a mistake =]
>
> -d
>
> -+(duncan brown
> -+(duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
> -+(http://www.linuxadvocate.net

I have Slackware 96 and RH 4.2 Biltmore on cdrom here somewhere.  I
wouldn't think about using them, but if you don't run any servers, you
are the only user, and behind a good firewall... I don't see why you
couldn't run either of these.

I think it was 4.2, maybe 5.0 Hurricain, that had the exmh MUA built
in tcl/tk?  Pretty darn good mail reader!

Found in search, not mine,
screenshot: http://www.ee.ryerson.ca:8080/~elf/xapps/exmh.gif

Thinking about apps that come and go.  I liked exmh and if it was here
instead of mutt, I would probably use it.  Also love minicom, the
Telix clone.  Even today, I sometimes use it to login and see who's
online.  More correctly, who is still using a modem!

When I first installed Linux (Slackware) in 96/97, I was a CF when it
came to vi or emacs, but minicom was very familiar.  So I just used
pico until I got the hang of the other editors.  I never really
studied, it was almost like not memorizing a phone number but after
you called a few times you remember it.

Don't consider myself from the computer generation.  We didn't have
computers in school, or should I say... we were not permitted to touch
them - and why would we? those tandy's and apple ii's suck.

If I had to go back to a modem I would proably pack up my stuff and
store it in a closet, have my home phone disconnected and just use my
cell...  Well, I don't have to use a modem but I have thought about
cutting the line many times.

ISP's and Telcoms thought no one would ditch highband, but they
are... and not in favor of modems either.  Many people are cutting the
lines and going wireless.

I expect many things to change in the next few years and I hope we are
all here to enjoy it.

I use Linux and it's one of my favorite things.  My favorite however
is my radio/cell phone with it's walkie-talkie feature and free
weekend calls - it's hard to beat.

Next is the TV.  People are lazy, the TV spoon feeds you.  I don't
think the net will ever really replace TV (one-way communication).

I have been online since 93 or 94.  It's an addiction, but as you grow
older, it's not the most important thing in your life.  You will
forget things you learned, you will have to relearn things you thought
you knew.  People come and go, they find other interest.

Notice how internet use dies during the summer months, compared to
winter months?  People get out more. Of course there is a group of
people who stay online all the time.  They come and go too.

Had a network administrator once that didn't even own a computer.  He
had no computer at home!  I couldn't belive it, but now I do.  You
change when you get older.  You set priorities.  Manager type
personality?  Not really, you just get older and ask yourself where
did the time go!

Someone once told me, "In the end, everybody cuts the line."  I'm
hanging on;)

jay
40 in a few days.