apt package list?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue May 4 12:40:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Dave Stevens wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I recently installed apt-get for FC1 and have installed several packages
> astonishingly easily. Very nice. I don't know how to tell what packages are
> available or where there is a directory of such packages. Can someone point
> me in the right direction, please?

"apt-cache pkgnames" to see all the gory details. That (currently) lists
all "virtual" packages as well, to change to more reasonable output add
APT::Cache::AllNames "false";
..to /etc/apt/apt.conf (will be default from next release)

"apt-cache search <searchword>" to look for packages containing
<searchword>.

Perhaps a nicer way is to use apt-shell, or better yet install "synaptic"
which is a GUI frontend to apt which allows graphically browsing
packages, their descriptions etc.

	- Panu -