Re: Escaping "upgrade hell"

On Tue, 4 May 2004 13:59:52 -0400, John Aldrich <john chattanooga net> wrote:

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 10:13 am, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

If you say that other distributions - do you mean just Linux distributions or BSB distributions as well? - offer a special kind of upgrade path, whatever that should be, you should explain what you mean with that to be able to say whether that is possible with Fedora/Redhat in the same way.

Either, upgrading is upgrading and always means to get your whole system
to a higher state and not just updating applications. I do not know any
Linux distribution that would have a different policy.

So please feed us with details and names.

I think he's probably talking about Debian and related distros where you just
do an "apt get" every night and it "automatically" updates everything to the
latest version and there's no need to wipe and reinstall the way that it's
often easier to do with RedHat / Mandrake / etc style distros.

Yeah that's probably the case. However, in my experience, I'm a firm believer in 'starting over' with an OS every so often. More so with Windows than with Linux, but continually 'updating' as compared to 'upgrading' is fine, but you just get so much 'crusty buildup' when you do than IMHO.

--
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Mark Haney
Network, Database and Systems Administration
DoctorDirectory.com Inc.