Strange behaviour of mounted USB hd

bit bit_char_g at gmx.net
Tue May 4 22:50:40 UTC 2004

Hi,

i bought an external USB 2.0 harddrive frame today, which I equipped with an
IBM DTLA 30 GB harddrive I had lying around.
I can mount that drive via my USB 2.0 port - no problem so far.
I can read/write as normal user, since I specified that in /etc/fstab
"/dev/sda1        /mnt/USB       vfat    uid=xxx,gid=xxx,rw    0 0"
Transfer rates are like I expected them to be.

The problem starts, when I do anything else, then just writing to the drive or
copying from it. For example, trying to watch an mpeg, which was copied onto
the drive from a Win XP box.
Xine/mplayer simply refuse to start and hang.
After that, the files, that were copied from the Win XP box disapear.
If I then umount the drive and try to remount it, it's not possible to do so:

$ mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/USB
Error: no blockoriented device

$ mount -o loop /dev/sda1 /mnt/USB (-o shouldn't be necessary)
Error: no device found

I tried looking for a way to restart hotplug, but I couldn't find anything in
/etc/init.d/

So here are my questions:
1. Is there anything special about files, that are written by Win XP onto a
FAT32 partition ?

2. Is there a quick way to restart hotplug, and would that help at all ?

Or is the hd the one to blame ?

I searched the list archive for "usb mount", but couldn't find anything
similar.

Thanks for any help or hints.

bit