TurboTax Replacement (was: Quicken Replacement )

Jonathan Savage jonathansavage at earthlink.net
Wed May 5 01:21:52 UTC 2004

> From: Mike Jang <michael at ywow.org>
> Subject: TurboTax Replacement (was: Quicken Replacement )
> While this is getting off-topic, it's based on a key issue for the Linux
> desktop.
>
> Speaking of personal finance software, I gather Bruce Perens who was
> quoted recently as saying he still has a Microsoft Windows computer for
> Quicken and TurboTax.
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5202145.html?tag=nefd.pop
>
> I don't think GNUCash really cuts it, but I recognize there are people
> working on the Quicken compatibility / feature issue. However, I don't
> hear any mention of (U.S.) Tax software.
>
> Is there anything on the horizon for a Linux port or some GNU substitute
> for TurboTax? Or do people here who no longer use MS Windows just do
> their taxes with a pencil (or an accountant who probably uses MS
> Windows)?
>
> I think this is the last big unscratched itch before Linux can seriously
> penetrate the consumer desktop market.

I still use turbotax for my personal tax reporting but use the web
version so no compat. issues with my choice of OS. I know some are using
turbotax/quicken/quickbooks w/ wine or crossover office as well.

I'm trying a quarter (or two) of gnucash my business accounting with
gnucash but strongly suspect I'll either:
1. create appropriate mysql dbs for my purposes
<or more likely>
2. Bite the bullet and use quickbooks pro for the business since the
benefit of prefilled forms/efiling outweighs the few hundred dollars
cost of QB pro + crossover office - at least when I could be spending
the hours used to tweak a DB/gnucash to deal with state/federal/state
sales tax vs. using that time to umm... actually do *business* and/or
generate *more* revenue.
YMMV

Bests

Jon