Corruption

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Wed May 5 11:12:48 UTC 2004

On Saturday 01 May 2004 20:39, Jeff Vian wrote:

> J.L. Coenders wrote:
>
> >Although fsck indicates a lot of problems, I think it is not the disk which is
> >malfunctioning. I have run the Maxtor diagnostics over it and that gave 'a
> >certified functioning device', so no bad sectors or anything.
> >
> >But I ran memtest86 afterwards and discovered that two addresses are broken,
> >so that might be the problem. I am going to get it out today and see if
> >everything will work then.
> >
> >Jeroen
> >

> That is possiblem but what 2 addresses????
>
> I have a box that functions perfectly but memtest86 always reports 2
> addresses in the same test as an error.
> Does not matter if I run the test once or if I run it a hundred times,
> it always reports the same addresses, yet it works perfectly.

    If you have 2 bytes bad ram, think what's the chance for a program
to use them (and you to notice this). After this, think how will you
like this to happen when you do very important task? There's badram
patch (or whatever the name was) for linux, but with the current ram
prices it seems useless for me - change the ram, it's not that expensive
nowadays! memtest86 (now there's also memtest86+) has been lifesaver
many times for me.

Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79