OS Performance (was OT: New low for Microsoft!)

Gabriel M. Beddingfield bugler at teuton.org
Wed May 5 12:10:09 UTC 2004

> It's at times like these, that I am greatly relieved I'm not a Windows
> user:
>
> http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/news/article00005.html

This brings up a question I have about Fedora.  I recently installed FC1
on an 800 MHz Celeron with 128MB RAM.  I'm a Linux newbie.  The system
is dual-booted with Windows ME.  Yes, I know that I'm running below
recommended specs.

Before going on, I am a convert to the Open Source ideology.  I would
like to see Linux (and open source software) succeed and dominate the
market.  After passing newbie status, I look forward to rolling up my
sleeves and pitching in on coding.

The first thing I notice in Linux (running GNOME) is that it *seems*
more sluggish than Windows.  Menus take longer to pop up.  Standard
dialogs take longer to pop up.  All sorts of things.  When I click to
start Mozilla, I have to check to see if my HD light is on -- otherwise
I don't know if the OS registered my click!  (In all fairness, Explorer
isn't much better in this regard.)

A good example is switching windows.  Everything is loaded in RAM -- no
caching to the HD.  When I change the focus to another open window, it's
like I get a flicker-flicker-there.  It takes around 500ms to make the
change.  In Windows, this is not so.

So here's the question:  Is this normal for Fedora and/or Linux?  Do I
maybe have a bad video setting?

Otherwise, is it possible that Linux developers are prone to pushing the
hardware, too?  Honestly, I don't see why my 486/DX2 w/8MB is obsolete.
  What are we doing now that requires so much more horsepower?  Are word
processors now solving partial differential equations before they print?

Peace,
Gabriel