KDE dies

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Wed May 5 12:22:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 02:16, Edwin Humphries wrote:
Snip
> Problem is, KDE starts OK, runs OK for an indeterminate time, then just
> freezes, and requires (up till now) a hard reset to "fix" it. (I believe
> Ctrl-Alt-F1 opens another tty session, and I'm not sure, but I suspect this
> is one of the combinations I tried.)
>
> What's really weird is that it seemed to affect the USB system somehow, as the
> USB mouse didn't work afterwards in XP (to state the obvious, this is a dual
> boot system).
> --
Snip
Ok... If KDE and runs for an indeterminate time, then this points to an
application failing or a system error such as memory or a hard drive I/O
seek error.
To reset KDE a <CNTL+ALT+BKSPACE> will kill KDE so that a hard reset is
not necessary. If this does not kill and restart X, then something else
is possibly failing. Check these;
1) Will keyboard Num Lock and Caps Lock still work?
2) If so try <CNTL+ALT+F1> to get a terminal and log in.
3) If you can log in check /var/log/dmesg for error messages and post
with dmesg as an attachment.
4) Run the command < ps -A and check/log the last several (10??)
entries.
5) That the USB mouse has issues after reboot, though, indicates that
this is a system error. Do you have a PS-2 mouse to check this?
--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>