Taming the mailing lists?

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Wed May 5 13:21:37 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 3, Chadley Wilson did say:

> You have all been writing furiously:
>
> In my opinion the solution is very simple,
> first analyse the problem, I believe it is newbies in particular.
> They subscribe to mailing list and the first thing they do is post a
> whole lot of "How do I's"
> If the mailing list sent the newbie a welcome note that gave guidance to
> the newbie we would not have half this problem.
>
> I believe that if the welcome note included various short guides, like
> Netiquette and a guide to google and how to search the archives,
> A big bold "Have you tried the following before you post your question?"
>
> This is a simple thing and could be setup in an hour. And could minimise
> the amount of small stuff and already covered topics mailed to the list.
>

> This is my 2c

Ya know Chadley, I mostly agree with you. If all the suggestions I've
read in this thread boiled down to to your above recommendation with only
the addition of putting URLs to those same guides and tutorials in a
monthly reminder notice ( even old hands sometimes forget things ) I'd be
happy with the results.

toodles