rpm upgrades segfaulting FC1

Brian Hankins bhankins at micahtek.com
Wed May 5 13:29:21 UTC 2004

Panu Matilainen wrote:

>On Tue, 4 May 2004, Brian Hankins wrote:
>

>>I am having some trouble with rpm upgrades, while installing new
>>packages works fine. This is what I see when running this:
>># rpm -Uvh package.rpm
>>Segfault
>>
>>There is a backstory to this actually. One day I was running the
>>upgrades as normal through the graphical up2date tool, and I upgraded
>>something like 6 packages at once. This was about a month and a half ago
>>when openssl needed an update. When I rebooted, all kinds of stuff began
>>segfaulting after some research and straces we ended up forcing a
>>reinstall of the openssl package(just trying to ssh into another machine
>>was segfaulting as well). After that everything seemed to be working
>>well, except for rpm which segfaults everytime I  try to upgrade a
>>package, which is hindering me from updating the system. I had something
>>like this happen in an older version of redhat so I used:
>># rpm --rebuilddb
>>
>>I was still running into the same issue, and I went to deleted the db files:
>># rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*
>>
>>The problem still happens, so I grabbed the rpm of rpm from the install
>>cd and upgraded it with: "rpm -Uvh --force" which ends up displaying the
>>status hashes like its installing, but segfaults after that point. I
>>could not find anything beneficial in my investigation in the logs or
>>and strace of running rpm, granted I am not an expert on it. I would
>>appreciate any suggestions, or help on a fix or workaround, or what else
>>I need to look for. Thanks alot.
>>

>The rpm binary is quite unlikely to be corrupt, reinstalling package
>doesn't typically "fix it" on Linux :)
>
>There's probably something corrupt in the rpmdb, if --rebuilddb doesn't
>cure it then you can try the alternative method:
>
>Take a backup:
># cd /var/lib
># tar czvf /tmp/rpmdb.tar.gz rpm
>
>Do a basic verify of the packages db:
># cd /var/lib/rpm
># /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_verify Packages
>
>Repair it:
># mv Packages Packages-ORIG
># /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_dump Packages-ORIG | /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_load Packages
>
>See if it worked:
># rpm -qa
>
>If that works ok then rebuild indices:
># rpm --rebuilddb
>.and you should be ready to go. If it still segfaults file a bug to
>bugzilla.
>
>	- Panu -

Thanks for everyone's advice so far. I am not ready to try the rescue CD
suggestion yet as this is a production webserver that I can not bring
down at the moment, however I did try Panu's suggestion. It did not fix
my problem in this instance however, but I thank you and will be
submitting a bug on this. For anyone who reads this thread later, the
tools Panu mentions are in the rpm-devel package. Thanks again.

--
Brian Hankins