Re: Users, groups and directory access

duncan brown wrote:
A.J. Bonnema said:

Sounds like John just needs to log out and back in again. There's
little effective difference between primary and supplementary groups.

It still doesn't work. However, I checked the group membership of john after applying "gpasswd -a john proj" and -- even after exit and creating a new terminal -- the command "groups" does not show proj. It only shows john as group, while f.i. root has a whole bunch of groups.

Is gpasswd the wrong utility here?

do this for me, please:

egrep 'john|proj' /etc/passwd /etc/group

and post the results to the list. let's see what we're working with, first.

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your reaction, but the problem was solved when I did a logoff from my X-session...
Besides, I had changed my (dutch) names to english, so the grep wouldn't match my example.

Thanks anyway.

+( duncan brown : duncanbrown linuxadvocate net )+ +( linux "just works" : www.linuxadvocate.net )+

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing
a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT
clones"
         - Linus Torvalds, August 1991

(nice quote: no-one saw this one coming......)

Guus.
--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)