Laptop Battery

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed May 5 15:59:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, StoneBeat wrote:

> possibly you have a laptop that use ACPI instead of APM, check it and if you
> have ACPI you must recompile your kernel enabling ACPI

ACPI is compiled into FC1 kernels (although it's nowhere near feature
complete).  There's an acpid daemon and an apmd daemon.  You need to have
an appropriate option on the kernel line in /etc/grub.conf (IIRC, apm is
the default unless you add acpi=on and/or apm=off) and start the matching
daemon at boot.

The acpi battery meter (in GNOME, at least) checks status with annoying
frequency, but seems to work otherwise.  I'm still using APM, though, on
my Dell C640 and my IBM T41.  APM battery indicator works fine on both.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu