Old Farts (Was: Re: new FC1 install problems)

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Wed May 5 16:05:35 UTC 2004

On Monday 03 May 2004 07:44 am, duncan brown wrote:

> i wonder who's the
> oldest computer literate linux user out there?  i sort of have the
> mentality of the hippies back in the 60s/70s, don't trust anyone over
> 30 =] ... it's hard for me to believe that someone over 30 uses linux
> personally, once you're over 30 you have to start thinking more like
> a manager =]... then again, i'm almost over that line, but i don't
> feel like i'm that close =]

I'm neither the youngest nor the oldest guy on the list (I'll be 60 in
ten days), but I've been using Linux since kernel version 0.99 (it was
a slackware dist and I still have the CDROM somewhere; basically it was
a floppy-based distribution with lots of 1.4 Meg floppies on the
CDROM).

I'm a relative newcomer to Unix, only using it regularly since Microsoft
had the largest selling Unix Distribution (MS Xenix, purchased from
SCO), running on a TRS-80 Model 2000 (and on some modified TRS-80 IIs).

And all my desktop systems are Linux, except for one Windows system I
still use for running PageMaker6.5, since I've never been able to
figure out how to make Scribus do anything useful for me.

Of course at almost 60 I'm even old enough to remember when "hippie"
meant big in the hips, and a "trip" meant to travel on planes, trains,
or ships.

(And "pot" was a something you cooked something in.)

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation