Routing and bandwidth problem

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Wed May 5 17:27:43 UTC 2004

From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>
> At 07:33 5/5/2004, you wrote:
> > > Linux can run multiple IPs on a single adapter by using aliases in the
> > > config, and then using the traffic shaper utils you can set bandwidth
> > > for each.
> >
> >Actually, if he hooks the four tennents and the router to a five port
> >switch, the tennents won't be able to sniff anything but the broadcast
> >packets.
>
> It seems to me that this would work perfectly *if* each tenant either
> configures all their machines with static IP addresses or has some other
> way of handing out IP addresses. I do not see how to use DHCP to assign
the
> 192.168.1.0/24 block to Tenant #1, the 192.168.2.0/24 block to Tenant #2,
> etc. via DHCP on a single server if all of them are coming in via a
switch.

> Once everyone has an IP address, this is great. But how to assign them?

I think you're right.  To do what you're needing to do, you need the five
NICs.  However, I was able to do something like this with an old 486 Dell
and a bunch of ISA NICs about five years ago, using LRP (the linux routing
project).  I don't have the liink, but it worked pretty well with only 32
meg of ram.

Ben