How to block Kazaa; NIS authentication

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Wed May 5 18:27:07 UTC 2004

Artur Sampaio wrote:

>Hi everyone...
>I have installed a small network for a client. It was composed by a
>server and 3 clients running FC1, and a client running Win2k.
>I have 3 questions:
>
>1) The W2k user insist in use kazaa, that was prohibited from
>enterprise's owner.....I wish to block the port of kazaa on the server
>(iptables??). someone knows how?
>2) I wish to use NIS to manage users from the server. It is possible
>that the W2k authenticate with NIS?
>3) How to make the home's user the same on any machine that's he use?
>(NFS? samba?)
>
>Finally, i wish to congratulate all the list. Here i'm learn more than
>on any manual, tutorial and so on....
>
>Thanks in advice
>
>(sorry for my english.... i'm still learning... )
>
>Artur José Ferro Sampaio
>São Carlos - SP - BR

Arthur,
I dont know the especific details on the implementation of each of those
things I'll say , but you may find some info in the manuals..
So , let's go to the questions...
1) No idea.. Maybe some tweaking on iptables can block it (as long as
you manage to block the first part of the connection , you're fine..
some time ago , our network allowed the user to connect to the kazaa
network , but when you tried to dl any file , you'd get nothing... )
2) You can use NIS and samba to do this job... It doesnt matter if the
machine running samba is the NIS server or the NIS client.. I remmember
seeing something on the samba manual about windows authentication using
samba
3) Depends.. For windows , use samba.. you can easily configure the home
directory to be acessible for each user (I believe it's one of the
samples commented in the samba config file)... For linux , use NFS...
Export the /home directory on the server and mount it on /home in each
of the clients..

--
Pedro Macedo

--