Recompiling the kernel?

Wed May 5 18:26:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 13:02, Richard Crawford wrote:
> I've recently purchased a Sony Clie TJ37.  It's pretty damn cool, but
> doesn't talk to my FC1 box.  I've found out how to make it talk, but it
> requires recompiling the kernel.
>
> So, uh...  How do I do that?  (he asks sheepishly)

This works for me...

Make sure you have the kernel-source RPM installed:

# yum install kernel-source

# cd /usr/src/linux-<whatever version>
# make mrproper
# cp configs/<pick file for your processor[s]> .config

[Optionally edit Makefile, change "custom" on the "EXTRAVERSION =" line
to something more descriptive]

# make oldconfig
# make gconfig [or menuconfig if not in X - configure as desired -
minimal changes for now as you're not familiar with the process - tune
the heck out of it later if comfortable/adventurous.]
# (make && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install \
  && make install) >& /tmp/MakeKernel.log [all one line]

Go for coffee, do some other work, take a nap, come back the next day -
depending on processor speed.  Check log file for errors when it's done.
If not OK go back to gconfig step.

Check/edit /boot/grub/grub.conf, cross fingers, reboot.

Phil