Software RAID disk partitioning (FC1)

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed May 5 20:04:02 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 05.05.2004 schrieb Dhananjay Makwana um 21:37:

> All,
>
> I need to create a softwrare RAID (RAID 1) on a system with two hard
> disks (equal size 250G).
> I know i can do that in Fedora anaconda installer "Disk druid" program.
> I created two "software raid" partitions (one on each disk /dev/hda1 and
> /dev/hdc1).
> What I am not sure is how do I create regular partitions now ? Disk
> druid allows me to create "/" and swap partitions but then it changes
> the raid partitions to be on /dev/hdc and creates those partitions on
> /dev/hda space.
>
> I read the Software RAID howto but could not find relevant information.
> Can somebody point me to correct procedure ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jay

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s1-diskpartitioning.html

You first have to create software RAID partitions on each of the 2
drives. How much you split is your decision. Then in a second step
create the RAID array(s) by choosing each one partition from both drives
with the RAID level you like (0, 1 or linear) with the filesystem you
like.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-raid-intro.html

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 21:58:16 up 8 days, 20:46, load average: 0.67, 0.48, 0.37
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]